WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Blue sky progress

Today was one of those days when the world conspires against you doing any actual work that counts. But while the paying work was thin, I did manage to squeeze in a little time on the Blue Sky Project while I was loading some computer programs onto my new laptop. In ten minute bursts of activity I managed to lay on some sculpting epoxy to the gondola. As normally happens the drawings served as a rough guide, but many new ideas worked their way through. I decided the gondola needed more texture and so I sculpted some wood grain into the front. The 'metal' sides wrapped around to hold the wood in place and that was the perfect excuse to put on a bunch of rivets.


The wood in the front was balanced by a wooden barrel out back, making everything much more old fashioned and cool. I'm starting to really get into this thing.  


As I sculpt I forget the whole purpose of the exercise is to build a project that utilized the fourth axis capabilities of the new router... but then again it will be many weeks yet before it arrives, leaving us plenty of time for that aspect of the project.

In the meantime we'll continue to have a little fun.  :)

-dan