WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

EXCITING WEEK PLANNED!

Next week promises to be an exciting one!  Before Christmas our new four axis 3000 series MultiCam was installed in our shop. It is working perfectly and is unbelievably fast!  Our MultiCam representative from Texas, Shawn Kirsch got everything going but ran out of time to train me properly in the operation of the new fourth axis. With my limited technical knowhow it was best I stay away from the new feature until I knew more. Next week Shawn comes back to give me the training I need to get into operation. I can hardly wait.

Over the last days I have cut and glued up some 30 lb Precision Board blocks of various sizes to chuck up in the machine.  The bottom large block is for the project below. It measures fourteen inches square by twenty inches long. The pipes sticking out of the ends of the blocks are for chucking them up in the machine.



I've been working on some files as well. A number of months ago I started a cool demonstration piece for the router and our shop. I talked about it here...  fantasy dirigible

Well' things got busy and the project was pushed to the back burner... until today. Now it is time to dust it off and get ready to do some serious 3D routing.

When we left the project a while back I had welded up the steel frame and started in on the sculpt.


I got along fairly well and will finish the bulk of the sculpt of this part later tonight.


I also did a quick comp/sketch of the balloon to visualize how it would look hanging in my studio. I know it will fit right in.


 My next post will describe how I built the routing file to create the balloon. Stay tuned...

-dan