WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Lunar name tag

Doug isn't like anybody else I know. By his own description he is part artist, sculptor, painter and mad scientist. His current logo is a rocket blasting off of a moon. Designing his name plaque is a snap. the font had to reflect his character. If you study it real hard you can even read it.  :)


To create the moon I started with a simple domed relief.


Then I added a new bitmap, which will be part of the new TEXTURE MAGIC COLLECTION which I am currently working on.



Then it was on to the lettering border. I first created a flat relief 0.4" tall. The height is arbitrary. I then created an offset vector I would use to modify the lettering border. I didn't change the settings from when I created the moon relief and so the lettering border curved in the same manner.







Before I merged the lettering border to the moon I modified the moon relief by adding the lettering. It had to be higher than the lettering outline relief to show up.



I then merged highest the lettering border to the moon background.


The moon was then ready to be tool pathed and sent off to the MultiCam to be routed from a piece of 1.5" thick 30 lb Precision Board.


I'm thinking that since I only see my good friend Doug rarely a blue moon might be just the ticket.

-dan