WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Monday, November 4, 2013

Ready for Bucky

The day dawned bright which meant the entire crew headed off to the worksite. Lots was accomplished there! Back in the shop the Bucky sign awaits the painting of the lettering to make it ready to install. That install will happen later this week.


The shop is very full these days with some large pieces that will soon form the top of a mountain that will envelop a whole three story building. We started with a concept drawing. There would of course be many changes as we went through planning and construction but this drawing set the tone of everything to follow.


The architect drew up the plans which then came to me for comment. I made a few changes and sent them back. I also made some quick sketches of the structural framework we would need which were reviewed by the structural engineer before going to the steel fabricators. 


When the steel was delivered to our shop we set to work forming and welding up the pencil rod frame over which we will now fasten the diamond lath. We'll add a layer of concrete into which we will sculpt the details. Then we'll paint it up to ready it to be craned up to the peak of the roof. The tree is being built as a separate section. It will go way up on the tippy top.


The eastern side of the mountain will form a backdrop for the bumper boats and swing ride. The opposite side will house the concession where all of the cool signs will be. 

It's going to be an exciting week.

-dan