WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Friday, January 3, 2014

Swingin'

I built the file and routed the Wave Swinger sign about a month ago but business with other projects has kept it waiting - until today. The sign was originally designed to be viewed from the front. But things change so we had to get a little creative to make it hang as a blade sign instead.


We started with a welded armature, a few simple 1/4" thick steel rods. These were carefully bent and positioned, then welded up. I had the basic shape which defined the shape and pose of the figure in a couple of minutes.


Then I used Abracadabra Sculpting epoxy to hand form the shape of the figure. I layered sculpting epoxy and crumpled tinfoil to build up the bulk of the figure. 



Once I had the basic shape I wanted I then started in on the detail. This is the fastest layer and after four hours in total working on the figure the basic shape was done and the top half of the figure was fully detailed.



By noon on Monday this little guy should be pretty much complete and ready for paint. Stay tuned for the next report on the progress...

-dan