WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Some serious bling!

Normally the welded steel armatures we build for our sculptures don't get any treatment. Most of the the frames never see the light of day and are hidden inside our sculptures behind a thick layer of sculpted concrete. The pieces going to Dubai are going into a water park environment and the client asked the they be galvanized to ensure they don't rust.

Today the galvanizer phoned to tell us they have some out of the zinc vat and were ready for pickup. Instead of the usual are steel frame the armatures were all bright and shiny silver. We took the pieces back to the shop and then lightly sandblasted the areas of the feature that will remain exposed. This included the blades of the sword and axes as well as the lift points. The purpose of the sandblasting was to give the surfaces a bit of tooth to allow our paint and glazes to better adhere over the long haul.

Now we'll tie on the usual galvanized lath but instead of our usual black tie wire we'll use specially sourced galvanized wire. Next week we should be ready to begin the sculpting process at last!