WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Hanging the 'banner' sign

I set the router into motion as we left the shop at quitting time. I went out twice to check in the evening and the file finished running about 11:00 pm. I was delighted with what I saw and found hardly wait until morning to put it together.



This morning I routed some slots in the corner to accept some 3/8" rod which will act as the rope which will 'hang' the sign from the corners. In actual fact the sign will be suspended from the two pieces of tubing which stick out of the back. The rest of the frame dropped into the routed slots in the middle. This makes the sign well able to handle anything it might be subjected to in the theme park environment. The back and front of the sign were then laminated together with the steel frame in the middle. 


We then lifted the sign into position and permanently welded it there. I was pleased with the result. We will now finish welding up the armature of the tree and get to the sculpting process. Stay tuned...