WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Saturday, April 8, 2017

Train is now on the way to Las Vegas

Spring is the busiest season in our shop as all of our customers want to be open and running full blast through the warm summer months. This is why I got such an early start on my Sign Challenge project back before Christmas. I knew that if I couldn't't get the bulk of the project done before the New Year things would get a little tight at the end.

With our large projects getting ever further away it has meant my long distance trips are getting more frequent. And that has certainly been the case with multiple trips to Trinidad, Dubai, California and Florida in the last month. Even so I was determined to finish the project with time to spare.

I finished the sculpting a few weeks ago. Even though the project is small in scale the details are just as numerous as on a large piece.





My plan from the start was to incorporate a smoke machine into the feature. I bought a machine but the trials demonstrated it produced far too much smoke, even on short blasts. It literally filled our large shop. With the short time left I decided to eliminate this feature as it would have been too much for the show.



So it was down to paint. As with all of our projects the first stage was to paint on the base colours in multiple coats, followed by a series of glazes. The only difference was that we used smaller brushes. It took about four days to paint the little piece.


As soon as the paint dried we packed it up and sent it on the way to Las Vegas. The International Sign Association EXPO is now only twelve days away. I look forward to seeing many old friends and meet a bunch of new ones as well!!