WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated with what I saw and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research and LOTS of hands-on practice I quickly found out that my MultiCam router was capable of just about anything imaginable.This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as I continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful tool... -dan

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Starting a new project

Having just pushed a massive project out of the big shop doors we are doing what new always do at a time like this. First it is time for a deep clean, sweeping out the far corners of the workshop. Everything is returned to it's rightful place. If we can we take the time to go through things that don't often get done, like sorting out the piles of odd bolts and repairing cords and hoses that need attention.

It is also a time to review the job just finished. How did things go? What could we do better next time? It is all about continually raising the bar.

Then we turn our attention to the next projects. Materials are ordered and files are built. That process began today.

The first piece we are building is a windmill, but not of the ordinary kind. Our client who owns an adventure golf requested this traditional mini golf fixture and approved our version.


Since the windmill will be added to an existing golf we decided to fabricate it on a sturdy steel plate base which is cut from 3/8" thick steel. I designed the cutting vectors in EnRoute after first figuring things out with a napkin sketch.


Cutting the 3/8" thick steel plate on our MultiCam plasma cutter was a quick process. I'll do an ongoing design-build process from this point as it is the easiest way for me to create this type of complex project. I'll keep the concept firmly in my head as we work out the design from the base upwards.